Rapid River Class IV
A Wet & Wild River Adventure, Open To Those Ages 12+
** Reservations Are Required **
About: The Rapid River is a legendary adventure among paddlers, however it is so remote that many commercial outfitters stopped running it years ago. As one of the closest solid Class IV river adventures to Boston, this trip is popular among adventurous families and adult thrill seekers. Let us transport you through the deep woods and logging roads to this unique, adrenaline packed adventure. This trip starts out with a gorgeous 30 minute, 1.5 mile paddle across “Pond in the River” where your experienced Maine guide will teach you how to paddle the raft. From there, it’s all downhill (which is a good thing if you are rafting)! Rapid after rapid with successively increasing intensity for 4 miles is what gives this river its legendary status. Holes the size of SUVs and towering waves will have you asking when we can go again!?! This trip ends with a relaxing pontoon boat raft tow across the pristine Lake Umbagog. A meal is served when we arrive back to base. Due to the remote and extreme nature of this trip, only those ages 12+ are permitted to participate in this trip. There are very few evacuation points, once you start you are committed to the entire journey!
Location: This trip meets at our raft base in Errol, NH.
Duration: This trip is a full day adventure that last approximately 7 hours from start to finish.
What Do I Need To Wear/Bring: please click here >> General Rafting Information << for a detailed list of recommendations!
Availability: This trip is offered only 10 times on select Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays throughout July and August! Scheduled release dates for 2018 are: July 20, 21, 22, 28 & 29 / August 4, 5, 10, 11 & 12. Two trip times are available, 8:00am and 10:00am.
8:00am – Check – In At Errol Raft Base
8:30am – Depart For River
9:30am – Arrive At River, Receive Safety Instruction & Hit The Rapids
2:30pm – Leave The River
3:00pm – Return To Base, Change, Enjoy Lunch & Depart
10:00am – Check – In At Errol Raft Base
10:30am – Depart For River
11:30am – Arrive At River, Receive Safety Instruction & Hit The Rapids
4:30pm – Leave The River
5:00pm – Return To Base, Change, Enjoy Lunch & Depart
- Fridays & Sundays: $115 per person
- Saturdays: $125 per person
- Price Includes: a licensed Maine guide, safety gear, comfort gear, transport from our raft base in Errol, NH to and from the river, a light snack and lunch
Who Can Participate:
- We welcome those ages 12+ for this adventure
- All participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times
- Participants who are pregnant may not participate
- Participants who have recently sustained an injury or undergone surgery may not participate
- Our rafting trips depart rain or shine! It is common for our local weather forecast to call for a “chance” of thunderstorms and/or rain throughout the day. Trips are not cancelled and refunds are not issued in the event there is a “chance” of thunderstorms and/or rain showers predicted.
- We require that at least 6 guests are signed-up to conduct this trip. This requirement applies to the trip overall, not your individual party size. If the overall trip minimum is not met, you will be contacted by 4:00pm the day before your departure and given the opportunity to either reschedule or cancel and get a refund.
What Are Class IV Rapids: The American Whitewater Association Classifies A Class IV as – intense, powerful but predictable rapids requiring precise boat handling in turbulent water. Depending on the character of the river, it may feature large, unavoidable waves and holes or constricted passages demanding fast maneuvers under pressure. A fast, reliable eddy turn may be needed to initiate maneuvers, scout rapids, or rest. Rapids may require “must” moves above dangerous hazards. Scouting may be necessary the first time down. Risk of injury to swimmers is moderate to high, and water conditions may make self-rescue difficult. Group assistance for rescue is often essential but requires practiced skills. A strong eskimo roll is highly recommended. Rapids that are at the lower or upper end of this difficulty range are designated “Class IV-” or “Class IV+” respectively.
**After making an online reservation, you will be emailed a confirmation letter that contains driving and parking instructions, a list of items we recommend you wear/bring along and a receipt for your records. If you don’t see your confirmation email in your inbox, please check your spam/junk folder as our automated correspondences get filtered into there frequently (especially with Gmail users).